Monday 27 January 2014

DIY Bedroom Makeover Done in a Day!

After how well my stairs makeover went ( you can find it here ) I seem to have caught the decorating bug and next on my list was our bedroom.
Its not a massive space and often ends up being a dumping ground for bedding I have no storage for or unwanted toys (at least that part never lasts!)
So this makeover is just the first part to transforming our bedroom from glorified closet to master bedroom of joy!
I'm attempting to over haul the whole house on a teeny tiny budget, and this makeover is something we can all do for literally nothing, I have used wallpaper samples collected over a few months from online stores like Farrow and Ball and John Lewis or you can simply pop on down to B and Q or any other store that sells wallpaper and collect some samples of all the paper you like. Don't worry if there is no theme, if the colours clash or you have mixed bold patterns with muted florals, who cares!
This is all about just going with what you like and the fun is in not having to live with just one pattern or colour until you decorate again and who can afford £55 per roll of paper for something you may stop loving within the year.
I already had the white paint and wallpaper paste. I always use the premixed tubs ( £1.99 from B and M Bargains) so i don't have to mix up a massive batch to find I don't need it all.

So here's how it went..




The walls where boring old magnolia still from when we moved in, it really has been neglected!
They where pretty dirty now and needed refreshing so I've just painted them all white, can't beat it to lift a room and fill it with natural light.



Here is my stash of wallpaper samples, scrapbooking paper and those cute papers you sometimes get for free in craft magazines. Anything like this is suitable to use really just be careful when applying to the wall in case you rip the paper.





So I got itchy feet waiting for the paint to dry so i started papering.




It progresses quickly and you would be surprised how quickly you can fill a whole wall like this. I didn't follow a theme or anything but I did find when I was putting them up I had a lot of similar colours so I tried to mix it up as much as possible.





I stopped at half way for a brew break, this took about an hour and gave the paint on the other walls to dry from they first coat.


2 hours later and I'd filled the wall and given the walls another coat. I just love it, even more than the one I did in the kitchen last year! I do believe it's the kids room next!!!

It really is a wallet friendly style statement, I have had so many compliments just from posting to Instagram yesterday and our bedroom finally feels like somewhere I can lay and relax after a long day ( that is if you ignore the pile of boxes in the corner ear marked to live in the loft!)

If you decide to give this a go, do tweet me your gorgeous pics! @immamabetty

Happy Monday folks ;)

L x







No comments:

Post a Comment