Friday 20 May 2011

my 12 month handmade, pre-loved task




Lately I've been thinking... as you have probably gathered from my last few blog posts, that there must be more to this than throw away culture. I hate high street brands, big business and all things "normal".
So I've decided to go on a 12 months handmade and pre-loved journey. I endeavour to hand make, up cycle, recycle clothes for me and the girls and buy only second hand, pre-worn, vintage and charity shop finds. This also goes for furniture and home accessories.
I also plan to home bake much more than i already do and only cook meals and snacks. No more fast food, take aways and crap. If i can make, grow, reuse it then i will!
Obviously theres things i cant avoid and will have to buy conveniences but from tomorrow (sat 21st may, which freakily is supposed to be some sort of apocalypse) i will be updating daily of the things i make, buy and reuse to cloth and feed us.
I'm hoping to take a lot from this. To see how well we cope without the things we take for granted, also i want THE coolest vintage home and this is a great way to point myself in the right direction. Theres nothing I'm yet to come across that cant be reused and remade into something amazing AND practical!
We have a stores full of clothes the girls have outgrown, but really its all just pre cut fabric ready to be remade into something that's unique AND practical.
I just don't want my kids growing into greedy so n so's! They shouldn't be concerned with the cost but that its a new (to them) toy or item of clothing!
we have a book self full of kids books that have been read to death! now how cool would it be to swap them for other books that they haven't read yet!
Those old toys and games and even shoes and clothing that could be swapped and revamped to suit yourself. no need for cash to change hands just wonderfulness of knowing that item can be loved elsewhere!!
Would be cool to get a few of you lovely readers on board to... maybe do a swap once a month, everyone post the items on their blog they don't want anymore and swap them with someone else that does want them.
After all if it is gonna be the zombie apocalypse tomorrow then money wont mean a thing!!

L x

oh and in all seriousness if you would be interested in a toy/clothes/furniture/recipe swap then pls get in touch and we can set up a list of all swappers

6 comments:

  1. Well my lovely! This week on my blog I decided that I was going to do only handmade Christmas gets. You my darling have taken it one step further and I am very proud! Your braver than I am and I honestly
    Can't wait to hear about your finds and watch the handmade, recycled and reused story unfold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww thanks so much sweety!!! hopefully get a post up everyday, thats a challenge in itself!! i will also be asking for advice etc too so keep popping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll swap craft supplies (buttons, lace, ribbon) for ...eerr craft supplies, that's right just changing owners LOL. Email me microbio.shop[at]gmail.com or tweet me @microbionoar

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm good for recipe swaps... and totally admire the handmade year: actually this sounds much easier than what I initially thought it was and might attempt it! I buy far too much rubbish food at least and should do more of my own baking at least. We've got some great vintage / charity shops around here but I always have the issue of how vintage shops smell...!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea and will be watching with interest. would love to get involved with the swaps. am moving soon so am bound to find lots of things we don't need and think of 101 that we do tweet @aimirowe for swaps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. its just about adjusting ur attitude towards things, i reckon 90% off ppl could achieve it, u just have to WANT to achieve it!! Hope u get on board, itll be great fun :0
    ill add you to the list Aimi, love to see you swapping :)

    ReplyDelete